This text first appeared in West Level’s Trendy Conflict Institute.
We simply accomplished the seventh week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Expertise, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how expertise will form the character and employment of all devices of nationwide energy.
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the sum of all of the assets out there to a state to pursue its nationwide goals and pursuits. This energy is wielded by means of a mix of a rustic’s diplomacy, data, its navy capabilities, financial power, finance, intelligence, and legislation enforcement. These devices of nationwide energy employed in a “entire of presidency strategy” to advance a state’s pursuits are recognized by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 targeted on China, the U.S.’s main nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all components of its nationwide energy, e.g. data/ intelligence, its navy would possibly and financial power in addition to exploiting Western finance and expertise. China’s objective is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and change it with its personal neo-totalitarian mannequin the place China emerges because the dominant regional and world energy.
The third class targeted on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the affect industrial applied sciences have on the devices of nationwide energy (DIME-FIL). The primary expertise we examined was semiconductors, and the U.S. dependence on TSMC in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips.
In the fifth class we examined the affect that AI and Machine Studying will proceed to have on the capabilities and employment of DIME-FIL.
In class six we mentioned unmanned techniques and autonomy and the way the appearance of those weapons will change operational ideas and the face of battle.
Immediately’s class: The Second House Age: Nice Energy Competitors in House.
Meet up with the category by studying our intro to the category, and summaries of Lessons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
The Chilly Conflict: House Race 1.0
House as a Area
Age of Nice Energy Competitors: House Race 2.0
- William J. Broad, “How House Turned the Subsequent ‘Nice Energy’ Contest Between the U.S. and China” New York Occasions, Jan. 24, 2021.
- Luke Harding, “The House Race is Again On—However Who Will Win?” Guardian, July 16, 2021.
- Tim Harford, “The CubeSat Revolution Altering the Method We See the World” BBC Information, July 17, 2019.
- Alexander Bowe, “China’s Pursuit of House Energy Standing and Implications for america” U.S.-China Financial and Safety Evaluate Fee, Apr. 11, 2019.
- Greg Autry & Steve Kwast, “America is Shedding the Second House Race to China” International Coverage, Aug. 22, 2019.
America’s House Forces
- “Protection Primer: The USA House Pressure” Congressional Analysis Service
- “What’s With All of the U.S. House-Associated Companies” U.S. Division of Protection, Dec. 14, 2020.
- Bryan Bender, “What the House Pressure Is, and Isn’t” Politico, Feb. 03, 2021.
- John W. Raymond, “How We’re Constructing a Twenty first-Century House Pressure” The Atlantic, Dec. 20, 2020.
- “United States House Pressure” U.S. Division of Protection, Feb. 2019.
- “DOD House Technique”, U.S. Division of Protection, 2021.
House Threats & Non-State Actors
- Harsh Vasani, “How China Is Weaponizing Outer House” The Diplomat, Jan. 19, 2017.
- Hanneke Weitering, “Russia Has Launched an Anti-Satellite tv for pc Missile Take a look at, US House Command Says” House.com, Dec. 16, 2020
- Andre Kwok, “The Rising Risk of Cybercrime within the House Area” East Asia Discussion board, Sept. 9, 2021.
Studying Project Questions
Decide one of many beneath questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, primarily based on the required readings.
- Describe America’s house belongings and the function of the U.S. House Pressure in defending and using these belongings. Because the U.S. House Pressure continues to develop, what modifications in technique and/or addition to its portfolio of tasks would you advocate?
- What’s the best present risk to U.S. pursuits in house? What suggestions would you’ve got for the U.S. and its companions to mitigate that risk?
Class 7 – Visitor Speaker
Our visitor speaker was Normal John Raymond, Chief of House Operations. He’s the primary Chief of House Operations, U.S. House Pressure. House Pressure has three main instructions — House Operations Command, House Techniques Command, and House Coaching and Readiness Command.
The House Pressure was born as a separate service in December 2019. Beforehand Normal Raymond led re-establishment of U.S. House Command as eleventh U.S. combatant command, and was for a 12 months the pinnacle of each a service (House Pressure) and a combatant command (House Command).
Raymond stated a spotlight for the House Pressure is being lean and quick, modern and unified.
House was as soon as thought of “benign,” largely uninhabited besides by america and Russia and the Soviet Union. Immediately it is much extra crowded and harmful. Raymond identified that the flexibility to function in house is vital not solely to guard U.S. safety, but additionally to energy the U.S. and world economic system, communications, transportation and different important features of on a regular basis life.
“House is clearly a warfighting area and we’re satisfied that if deterrence had been to fail, we’re going to must combat and win the battle for house superiority,” he stated.
Should you can’t see the lecture 7 slides click on right here.
Subsequent Week: Cyber
- Our navy will depend on our belongings in house (satellites) for communication, navigation, situational consciousness (through picture, radar and digital intelligence satellites) warning and concentrating on
- Our civilian economic system additionally will depend on house belongings for GPS and communication
- House is now a contested atmosphere with China and Russia able to disabling/destroying our satellites
- Utilizing directed vitality (lasers), cyber, digital warfare, floor or space-based kinetic weapons
Filed beneath: Expertise Innovation and Trendy Conflict and Nice Energy Competitors |